My husband doesn’t get overly enthusiastic about anything so when he told me that he ‘really, really, really, really enjoyed’ this soup, I knew I had a winner! Give it a try, I’ll bet you love it too!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 package (12-ounces) frozen cheese tortellini
- 3 ounces fresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 cup (8 ounces) heavy cream
Melt butter in a large soup pot.
Add onion, garlic, carrots, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Saute until veggies are tender, about 5 or 6 minutes.
Whisk flour in until mixture is crumbly.
Slowly add broth whisk until combined and there are no clumps.
Bring soup to a boil.
Add frozen tortellini and spinach.
Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until tortellini is tender and heated through.
Stir in heavy cream; bring to a steady boil and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until smooth and thickened.
Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
Taste for salt and pepper, and adjust accordingly.