Rub for pork chops
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 4 bone-in pork chops
- 2 to 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 potatoes, peeled & chunked
- 4 – 5 large carrots, peeled chunked
- 4 tablespoons butter, for the mashed potatoes
- 3-4 tablespoons milk, for the mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix together the rub ingredients and season the pork chops liberally on both sides. Reserve remaining rub to add to pot later, if desired.
Turn the Instant Pot to Saute. When the Instant Pot is hot, add pork chops to the pot and brown on both sides. You may have to brown in batches.
Remove the pork chops and set aside. Add the stock to the Instant Pot and scrape up any browned bits of goodness that might be on the bottom of the pot. Add both the onion and the potatoes to the Instant Pot. Place the steamer rack (that comes with the Instant Pot) on top of the potatoes and lay the carrots across the rack. Place pork chops directly on top of carrots.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot, lock in place and be sure the seal is set to ‘Sealing’. Turn Instant Pot to Manual High for 12 minutes. When timer goes off, turn the Instant Pot off and do a Natural Pressure Release (NPR) for 12 minutes.
Remove the pork chops and carrots to a platter, tent to keep warm and let them rest as you prepare the potatoes & gravy.
- Remove potatoes from the Instant Pot and put them in a bowl, leaving the liquid behind in the Instant Pot.
- Roughly mash the potatoes with 4 tablespoons of butter and the 3 to 4 tablespoons of milk, to desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Make a slurry by placing two tablespoons flour in a small bowl or cup. Add 1/2 cup cream, slowly, stirring constantly with a fork until mixture is smooth. (I have a gravy shaker that works great for this!)
- Turn the Instant Pot back to Saute. When the liquid in the Instant Pot boils add the slurry, stirring with a whisk until the mixture thickens. This happens pretty quickly.
- Pour gravy into a gravy boat or bowl immediately so that it doesn’t burn.