A comforting meal from my childhood. My stepdad used to make this and we all LOVED it. Sometimes my mom could talk him into making Bisquick dumplings to go with it but he didn’t like to do that very often as he claimed they sucked up all the gravy!
1 whole chicken, cut up (I used 4 chicken thighs)
- Season the flour with salt & pepper and then dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture (reserve remaining flour mixture).
- Heat EVOO in a dutch oven and add chicken pieces. Saute chicken until lightly browned. Remove chicken.
- Add some of the left over flour mixture to the bottom of the dutch oven and combine with tidbits in bottom of pan, making a roux of sorts.
- Add 3-4 cups of water to dutch oven and let simmer for 1/2 an hour or so. While simmering add a chicken bouillon.
- Add chicken back to pot and let simmer 3-4 hours until chicken is very tender and broth is gravy consistency. (If having trouble getting the gravy to thicken combine some of the reserved flour & water until smooth and then add to simmering pot)
My step dad always served this with mashed potatoes but you could serve it with rice or pasta as well.